Friday, September 26, 2008

The Big Indian IIT Dream

Our next interview is with a typical member of a 6 lakh strong community in India. The people of this community are among the busiest in the country and for the two ( or 3 )years while they are a part of this community, they are the most important members of their family. It is a rotating community with every year, people passing out of it and new people coming in. If you have ever attended college, there is a 6/13 chance that you have been a member of this community. This community consists of all geniuses. After getting out of this community, about 95% of the members are classified as duds while the remaining 5% continue with their status of geniuses. Yes, your guess is right. This is the community of the ( mighty,intelligent,cool,ghot )IIT-JEE aspirants. Here is my interview with a member of this community Rohan, an IIT-JEE aspirant who is living in a metro and is taking coaching in a prestigious coaching institute ( This institute claims to have been consistently sending over 1000 students into IIT every year. It is a different matter that out of those 1000, 300 students are continually been selected in IIT for past several years and out of remaining 700, about 500 have only attended its test series. ). So here are some parts of my interview with Rohan:

Q. Why are you preparing for IIT?
A. My parents want me to enter one of the following professions – medical or engineering. These days there are no job prospects for BSc students and people who take commerce and arts are not intelligent. Therefore, it leaves me with these two options only. Out of these two branches, getting admission into top medical colleges is very tough. There are only about 800 seats in the entire state in these top notch colleges. On the other hand, there are lots of seats in engineering colleges. IIT’s themselves have over 4000 seats. Then, there are also thousand of seats in AIEEE. Hence, engineering is a safer option. And I also hate biology. But that is not such a big problem. If it had been offering me loads of money, then I am sure my parents would have sent me into the medical field. But since it doesn’t as of now , I am preparing for IIT-JEE.

Q. What branch do you want in engineering?
A. I don’t really care. Any branch in any IIT will suit me fine. I don’t have any particular interest in engineering. I am interested only in clearing IIT-JEE. But since these days computer engineering is in fashion, I will like to opt for it. My parents also want me to get that branch. They have heard that people graduating in computer science earn lots of money. Although I and my parents don’t really know what is taught in computer engineering or what is the difference between computer engineering and other branches, the inquiry of my parents with people who have already done engineering suggests that I should get this branch only.

Q. What is your daily routine?
A. I have a very tough schedule these days. I wake up at 7 o’ clock. Then I dress up in fifteen minutes and go to school. At about 2 o’ clock, the school finishes. But I stay in the school till 3 and have my lunch. At 3 , I go for my various coachings. I cannot go to home after school since 1 hour’s time is too less to go to home from school, change, have lunch and then come back for coaching. On MWF days, I attend two different coachings of Physics and Chemistry back to back which finish by 8 o’ clock. By 8:30 pm, I come back home. Then I have dinner and after lazing around for 1 hour, I study till 12:30. At 1 o’ clock, I go to sleep. On TTS days, I attend only one coaching of Maths. Therefore, I come back home early by 6 o’ clock. Then is the time when I am actually to able to study at home.Therefore, after coming back, I study for continuous 6 hours ( - excluding some time for dinner, TV etc ) before wrapping up the day at about 12 o’ clock.

Q. How do you manage school and coaching together?
A. It’s not a problem at all. Everybody is able to manage that. I go to school and sit on the last bench where teacher does not pay any attention. Sitting on this last bench for entire day, I solve JEE problems from JEE books and my coaching material. I don’t listen at all to what is being taught in class. The teachers in school are all fools. They don’t know anything. They cannot solve my coaching material problem. So, why should I listen to them. And we all know that nobody asks about board exams. It is the only the entrance exams which matter. The teachers have by now also become used to students not listening to them and doing their coaching work. So, they don’t disturb me. Also, since more than 80% of the students in the class are like that only, they don’t bother to teach in class also.

Q. Recently, the Lok Sabha assembly elections were held. Do you know who has been elected as the new prime minister of India?
A. I don’t know. Should I know it? Are they also starting a General Knowledge paper in JEE from this time? No, they aren’t. Then, why should I know it? How does it help me in my IIT preparation? Please don’t ask such stupid questions. I can only answer questions pertaining to JEE. I know that on 7 September of last month, IIT Chennai director said that JEE pattern will be changed this time. Then on 5 August, IIT Kanpur director said that JEE will be tougher this time. If you want to ask me, ask me about JEE cut-offs, branch cut-offs etc for past several years. Why are you asking about politics?

Q. Oh, sorry.We heard you used to play electric guitar till 8th. What happened after that? Why did you leave it?
A. Yes, I used to play the guitar. But now the burden of studies has become so much, that I am not able to devote time to it. Anyways, where is the time for it. I have coachings at all times of the day. My parents knew that this will be the case from before. That is why as soon as I came in 9th, they citing the reason of studies, stopped the guitar tutor from coming home and then locked my guitar in the basement. It was a very wise decision, I must say.

Me: That will be all, Rohan. Thanks a lot for your time. It was very nice talking to you. All the best for your IIT-JEE exam.
Aspirant: Thanks.Is it finished ? I have got to go and study now. And please I have a request. Don’t come again before JEE exam. I don’t have the time for you. Chalo, catch you later.Bye.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Its getting boring now !!!

Change the so called "theme" dude...

Anonymous said...

Bang on dude....you put all my thoughts into something readable. As for Rohan's schedule, mine happened to be the same. [:)] Guess it's the same for everybody at home

Jahnabi Roy said...

wow...is it relly that bad??? i mean...someone tell this guy that the people who teach in the iits are mostly general line grads....