Saturday, September 20, 2008

Interview with BCCI President

Continuing with my interviews, my next interview is with the newly appointed president of BCCI – Mr Sharad Pawar. He has kindly agreed to give us a part of his time and more importantly, he has also agreed to answer our questions truthfully. So, here are the excperts from my intervew with Mr Pawar:-

Q: Mr Pawar, thankyou for giving us your time. We will like to congratulate you on your win in the recent elections.
A: Thanks. This win means a lot of me. For the past three months, I have neglected all my duties as agriculture minister and have been lobbying for this post. During this time, the farmer suicide rate increased by 5% and two regions in the country faced drought. But I did not let that deter me from my course. So it obviously feels good to achieve success in something you have worked so hard for.

Q. Certainly, sir. So, what were your first prirority after taking over this post?
A: My first priority after taking over will be to expose all scandals in which Dalmiya has been involved. My aim is that the by the end of this season, we should be able to file at least 9-10 cases against him. Also, some of his men are sitting at the top of various state boards. I will try and get them impeached. That will make more time but I am ready to devote that much time.

Q Sir, I meant cricket wise
A: Oh, cricket wise. I don’t know much about cricket. Cricket will continue to be handled the way it was being handled before. There will be no change in that. My subordinates will look to that. Besides, cricket is doing fine, isn’t it? We have made it into the Olympics this year.What else do you want? I will not interfere in any matters pertaining to cricket. I am a completely political person.

Q. Sir, cricket is not in Olympics. Anyways what steps will you take to increase the revenue of the board?
A. Ahh, now you are stepping into my domain. Money.See, we will need to increase the inflow of money into board this time. It is mainly because of two reasons – first, I have got lot of votes since I have promised a lot of people to increase their salary and secondly, I need to get a stronghold in various state boards. That will require money. But I have been told that after India’s recent series win, we will get a lot more money from broadcasting rights. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let’s see what happens.

Q. Sir, there was talk about increasing the allowance of Ranji players. Are you planning to take any steps on it ?
A. Are you mad? The cricketers are already earning so much. Howmuch more do you want them to earn. It is the board members who are dying of poverty. This is the reason why they are corrupt and then you people make fun of them by calling BCCI as Board for Corruption of Cricket in India. They are the people whose salaries should be increased. No, I will not waste the resources of the board by increasing cricketer’s salary.

Q. But sir, only the top level cricketers are earning money. Not the bottom level cricketers.
A. If you start paying them, then who will have the motivation of making it to the top. No, I will not entertain any furthur discussions in this regards.

Q. Sir, there is talk of preparing sporty pitches in India so that our team can perform well outside the subcontinent. What steps do you intend to take in this regard.
A. Why do you worry about that? It is our internal matter and we can decide whenever we want. The entire board will hold a meeting and decide that what kind of pitch needs to be made and then we will make the pitch accordingly. If you want we can also hold a poll and let the public decide what kind of pitch they want to see the match on. The will of the nation will be taken in account while making such decisions.

Me: Sir, thankyou for your time. I am sure your insight into the game of cricket will help in making India a better cricketing nation.
Pawar: My pleasure. I will do anything to help my country. After all, I am a Maratha Kshatriya.Thank you.

2 comments:

SVG said...

Vaoh excellent. You should post it in Hindi translation also.

SVG said...

Your interviews are really mind blowing. Why don't you post an interview with Laalu?